Sunday, February 10, 2008

But is it Art ? pt .II


Much of my job involves driving around South Central L.A. there are many things of note in this wonderful area but these are some of my favorites so far. All the time I spent in Baltimore, none of the graffiti art was as interesting as the pieces I've seen out here. Maybe we can implement some sort of coast-to-coast exchange program or internship for imagination-less taggers to come out here and soak up some creativity. I mean, there's grant money out there just waiting to be put to good use right? Imagine Mt. Vernon or Hamden awash in the vivid technicolor designs of free-wheeling artists whose Krylon cans have been liberated from the tyranny of tagging wars, engaged in a city-wide beautification project piece by glorious piece. Or maybe not.

4 comments:

Stacey Jolley Webb said...

Jan....Welcome to the blogging world! I am so glad you have joined...I loved this post. I agree this graffiti is pretty awesome. While most people look around LA at the mountains, beach, etc...I like to admire our amazing graffiti...I wish I could do that!

Ă„nna said...

Hi. I love you. And I love that I can now read your articulate musings. Baltimore may not have good graffiti, but there are some pretty nice murals.

heALin said...

It's true, there are some nice murals. I haven't seen any great murals yet, but if I find some I'll be sure and e-slap 'em up here.

Auslandish said...

Jan,
I am glad as is well in LA LA land. I personally enjoyed the variety of life in that mish mash cultural way. I spent nearly nine months travelling the entire region, and I think I can say I enjoyed every bit of it. As far as graffiti is concerned, make sure to check out West Hollywood for the great works of Banksy and Sheperd Fairey. While your at it, check out Juxtaposed and magazine fixated on urban art. I love you by the way.